It’s scary. Added sugars can be very scary for your health. Studies show that added sugar is addictive. This is why it’s so hard for people to eat less of it. But, it’s damaging to your health.
Here are a few of the benefits you can see if you choose to lower your sugar intake.
- More daily energy – You don’t need energy drinks for more energy. Save yourself from the inevitable crash. Believe it or not, you get more energy from whole food sources… and they taste better too!
- Have better teeth – Sugar feeds a bacteria that can be extremely harmful to your teeth. Cutting back added sugar in things like sugary drinks will help slow or stop tooth decay.
- Lower your risk of harmful diseases – Eating excess sugar (especially added sugar) significantly reduces your risk to potential deadly diseases like diabetes, cancer, and obesity.
I know how hard this is. I still struggle sometimes. But even though excess sugar isn’t best for your health I don’t want you to label it as “bad”. Treating foods as good or bad puts emotions towards food which I don’t love, especially for my family. Now of course a nutritious macro meal is good. But so are donuts on a Saturday morning as a family.
If you’re like me, I’m always looking for more nutritious alternatives to the staples in my house. Here are 3 of my favorites!
- Ketchup – the ultimate dip! Switch out your Heinz ketchup (with 4g sugar + 4g added sugar) for the Primal Kitchen ketchup (1g sugar).
- Peanut butter – high protein sandwich, yes please! Ditch your Jiff peanut butter (with lots of harmful oils) for the Smuckers Natural peanut butter.
- Pasta sauce – easy meal for the family! You’ve likely been using something like Prego pasta sauce. And while it tastes fine, try a delicious alternative, Rao’s Homemade pasta sauce. It’s delicious and so much better for you.
Not sure if you should make the jump? I challenge you to make a food diary this week. Write down all the things you eat & how they make you feel.
I promise you, you will feel and see the difference as you work towards lowering your sugar intake. YOU GOT THIS!
IF YOU LIKED THIS BLOG, HERE’S MORE FOR YOU!
3 RECIPES FOR YOUR HOLIDAY PARTY HERE
HEALTHY, ON-THE-GO SNACKS YOUR KIDS WILL LOVE HERE